- Give every child the best start in life
- Enable all children,young people and adults to maximise their capabilities and have control over their lives
- Create fair employment and good work for all
- Ensure a healthy standard of living for all
- Create and develop healthy and sustainable communities
- Strengthen the role and impact of ill-health prevention
Speaking to the meeting last night Lib Dem Cabinet member for Community Engagement and Voluntary Sector said; “The Liberal Democrats in Walsall have looked towards the Marmot Review with its six objectives as the blueprint for tackling not just health inequalities but inequality in all its forms. This manifests itself here in Walsall with an East West divide on life expectancy where on average those living in the East of the borough live around 8 years longer than those in the West.
“As a result this strategy it forms the backbone of the Coalition Agreement now driving the new administration sending a clear message that we are serious about resolving the problems which can currently blight peoples life prospects.”
By marrying up these objectives with other evolving initiatives such as Community Hubs; Local Area Coordinators and Asset Based Community Development we see the prospect of communities looking within themselves in order to use their skills in a positive way in order to reduce service based reliance.
It fits well with the Council’s “Working Smarter” agenda by adding direction and substance in order to make best use of scarce resources in a more sustainable way
Ian concluded by saying “As well as being a matter of fairness and social justice it makes good financial sense.”